“If there was one bit of advice for anyone that wants to adopt a leadership position in the arts and culture sector I would say ‘Be yourself, with skill.”
David Micklem (@davidmicklem) is an independent producer, consultant and writer. During his early career he spent significant periods of time at Arts Council England as their Senior Theatre Strategy Officer followed by Battersea Arts Centre as Joint Artistic Director.
David now divides his time between;
David’s consulting portfolio includes Arts Council Wales (Resilience Programme), In Between Time (as an Associate), the British Council, FutureCity (Associate) and a range of theatres and companies.
Supporting people being creative
Both in his work directly with professional artists and as co-founder and chair of 64 Million Artists, an organisation based on the belief believe everyone is creative, and can make a positive change in the world through getting in touch with this.
David has written an original six-part drama for television and is currently writing a novel.
In this broad conversation we get into:
- What working in a leadership role at BAC was like and why it became a second home.
- Working with Punchdrunk on the ‘Masque of the Red Death’.
- The power of storytelling in fundraising.
- Why everyone should have a mid life crisis.
- Taking risks, exploring creativity and a moment of epiphany in a coffee shop in Albuquerque, New Mexico
- The importance of ‘doing good foyer’.
- Creativity in a toothpaste factory.
The quote I’m struggling to recall around an hour into the recording and ultimately butcher is this one from Maya Angelou;
“I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
- IETM (International Network for Contemporary Performing Arts) or ‘Informal European Theatre Meeting’
- Next Wave Festival
- The Factory
- Fierce Festival
- Arts Council England
- The Producers: Alchemists of the impossible
- Royale Deluxe
- Battersea Arts Centre
- David Jubb’s Ted Talk
- Kazuko Hohki
- The Masque of the Red Death
- 64 Million Artists
- Norfolk & Norwich Festival
- The British Council